Monday, March 28, 2011

Liz


I was watching a rerun of Sex & the City the other night and in that episode the elegant Charlotte York had just adopted a beautiful puppy and named her “Elizabeth Taylor”. I laughed out loud, it seemed funny and appropriate at the same time because both Charlotte and the puppy are Taylor-esque! The real Elizabeth Taylor passed away this week and it took me back to when I was a little girl. Elizabeth Taylor was an icon: beautiful, elegant, larger than life. I remember watching her in the epic “Cleopatra” on the wide screen at a movie theater, she was girl power! I’m not sure she was a great actress (she chewed more scenery than William Shatner, see “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Wolfe” sometime! ). But she was one of the brightest stars in Hollywood’s star-making machine. Even if her 8 marriages were to be ignored the rest of her life seemed over the top in an unapologetic way. But in her later years she kept a lower profile and spent time fundraising for her Elizabeth Taylor Foundation. She will forever be memorialized in film, and every time I see her on the screen I will remember that moment in time when she was Cleopatra. -Naaz

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.