Monday, March 15, 2010

Who Actually Remembers These Things...

Flash Bulbs
Erector Set

Drive-In Movie


Lincoln Logs

Tinker Toys


Green Stamps

How many times did Timmy get trapped in a well?

I'd set my desk on fire just to use the slide

I’m not going to say how many I remember as not to date myself. But for the budding architects I’m sure Tinker Toys, Erector Sets and Lincoln Logs had to be a mainstay as children. And as one of the non-architects on staff, I’m fascinated by the fire escape tubes. Thankfully that type of architecture did not stay around. But I have to say it would be fun to exit work each day down a slide vs. taking the stairs. It would be as close to being Batman as many of us would get.

Of all of these my favorites were:
• collecting Green Stamps from all my grandparents and getting to go the Green Stamp store with my grandma to pick out my parent’s Christmas present one year. I remember spending hours looking at the Green Stamps catalog agonizing over just the right gift and recounting my green stamp books over and over to make sure I had enough to get what I wanted.
• Going to the drive in movies with my parents and cousins almost every Friday night. The parents would get in one car and the kids in another and eat the bags of popcorn our grandma made for us.
• Getting to watch Wild Kingdom hosted by Marlin Perkins each week
• And last but certainly not least, the flash bulbs on my first camera that blind me now just thinking about it.
-Jodie

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.