Tuesday, November 19, 2013

DIY Diva : Building a Designer Style Headboard in No Time!

There's no better use of spare time than a good DIY project, in my book!

So when we moved into our new home in early Spring, the first thing I wanted to do was make our very own headboard. I looked online for inspiration, as well as instructions. The one that caught my eye was not a traditional upholstered headboard--its nail head design added a little bit of character. This particular designer headboard retails for $1250... I was up for quite a challenge!

Step 1: Buy materials--plywood cut to size, quilt backing, nail head trim, picture hooks, fabric of choice, staple gun.

Step 2: Wrap the quilt bating and fabric over the front and staple them both to the back of the plywood. Trim the excess.

Step 3: Replicate the nail head pattern. I used a nail head trim in place of individual nail heads, so instead of hammering each nail head in individually, I only had to nail every fifth one. This nail head trim was also great because it was easier to keep a straight line.


Step 4: Attach picture hooks to the back of the headboard, about six inches from either side, and hang on the wall behind the bed. 

Despite the fact that it’s a fairly large piece, it was surprisingly easy to put together and only took about an hour. I am thrilled with the results and it only cost me $90... saving over a thousand dollars! Not only am I happy about the savings, but I’m also proud to know I was able to create something beautiful and customized to my taste!

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.